It’s widely held that the Arizona shootings, involving the murder of a judge and serious injury of a Congresswoman, are to the benefit of the Tea Party and other opponents of Obama’s Big Government policies.
Case in point: Paul Krugman, the socialist liberal apostle of The New York Times, writes: ‘We don’t have proof yet that this [shooting] was political, but the odds are that it was. [The Congresswoman who was shot had] been the target of violence before. And for those wondering why a Blue Dog Democrat, the kind Republicans might be able to work with, might be a target, the answer is that she’s a Democrat who survived what was otherwise a GOP sweep in Arizona, precisely because the Republicans nominated a Tea Party activist. (Her father says that ‘the whole Tea Party’ was her enemy.) And yes, she was on Sarah Palin’s infamous ‘crosshairs’ list.’
Clearly, Krugman and other liberals believe that this shooting was to the ‘advantage’ of people who oppose Obama, such as the Tea Party. I maintain exactly the opposite. This horrible event is a field day for liberals.
Here’s what liberals get out of this tragic event:
(1) Further excuse to attack Sarah Palin, whom they see as the mouthpiece of all things anti-Obama. They condemn her for “targeting” seats in Congress last fall, including the Congresswoman who was shot. How dare Palin oppose Democrats! The implication is that when you oppose left-wing leaning members of Congress, you’re inciting violence; when you target anyone else, as liberals do all the time, you’re simply being rational.
(2) Further excuse to oppose gun ownership. ‘If it were illegal to buy guns, then there would be no violence of this kind.’ Of course, aren’t criminals indifferent to the law? And don’t criminals always find a way to secure a gun, if they’re intent on harming somebody? Of course. Gun laws inhibit law-abiding people, not people who seek to initiate harm.
(3) Postponement of the vote to repeal ObamaCare. Although they claimed the vote was merely “symbolic,” it obviously threatened them.
(4) Further excuse to complain about “talk radio” — the code word for anyone who opposes Obama and his policies — and to demand that the “government do something about it.” It’s convenient timing, since the FCC has already taken nominal ownership of the Internet and no doubt has plans to regulate talk radio. Liberals hate dissension, and violence gives them an excuse to oppose dissension in the name of protecting the public.
(5) Further excuse to excuse criminal behavior. Liberals hate holding people responsible for their actions. By blaming the evil actions of a twisted gunman on those who oppose socialism and Obama, it’s also a convenient excuse for not blaming the gunman for what he did. ‘Yes,’ they’ll say, ‘He should be legally charged, but he’s a product of the times.’ They’ll claim he did this because of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and others who propose “hatred” of things liberals like. Somehow, opposition to Big Government implies advocacy of violence.
If I were a liberal, I’d take satisfaction in recent events. Yes, that’s dark, but liberalism is a dark ideology. I’d think, “Wow, the Republican Congress in 1995 was slowed down by the Oklahoma City bombing. Liberals blamed that on advocates of smaller government, even though the terrorist bomber in that case only cared about his narrow, paranoid beliefs. This is the perfect way to get Obama reelected, since he certainly can’t stand on the merits of his own record.”
Yes, it’s irrational to consider a shooting an advantage, but when you advocate things like socialism, government control of health care, wealth redistribution and censorship of people you don’t like, then how far of a stretch is this, really?
Ironically, the shooter in the Arizona killings is described by people who knew him as a ‘left-wing pothead’ who idolized Karl Marx, author of The Communist Manifesto. Don’t expect that fact to get much coverage. Imagine if he’d had a copy of Ayn Rand’s pro-capitalism ‘Atlas Shrugged’ on his book shelf. The outrage would be immense.
The real problem is that America is in trouble. This shooting is a tragic sideshow to the fact that American society as we know it is losing altitude. The currency is faltering, the national debt is too large to be calculated, the military is weakened by pacifist policies and the economy has ground to a halt.
Liberals like situations where they can feel like victims, and focus on victimhood, because this is, after all, what they get paid trillions of dollars in redistributed funds to do. They can talk all they want, but they cannot make America’s real problems go away. They blame others because they stand for nothing and have nothing to offer as solutions.